46th Annual Meeting of the Alaska Anthropological Association
February 27th – March 2, 2019
Alaska Anthropology in the Age of Engagement: Communities, Collections and Collaboration
Carrie M. McLain Memorial Museum
University of Alaska Fairbanks Northwest Campus
Bernadette Yaayuk Alvanna-Stimpfle, Kawerak Eskimo Heritage Program
Thursday, February 28, 2019 @ 12:00pm
Dr. Igor Krupnik, Smithsonian Arctic Studies Center
Friday, March 1, 2019 @ 6:00pm
- Nome is served by Alaska Airlines with direct flights from Anchorage.
- A complimentary shuttle service will be provided from the Nome Airport to hotels on: Wednesday, February 27 (Flight 151) and return service from hotels to the airport on: Saturday, March 2 (Flight 153).
- Checker Cab: 907-443-5211
- Mr. Kab: 907-443-6000
- The average fare is $6 one way anywhere in town.
- Stampede Car Rentals: (907) 443-3838
Call to reserve a hotel room and give the code: Alaska Anthropological Association
- (907) 443-3838
- Aurora Inn is located next to the UAF Northwest Campus
Dredge No. 7 Inn and Sluicebox Suites
- (907) 304-1270
- Dredge No. 7 Inn is located a couple miles outside of town and can be reached via bike, taxi, or walking
- Sluicebox Suites is located on the north side of town and is a five minute walk to UAF Northwest Campus
- (907) 443-2323
- Nome Nugget Inn is located on Front Street and is approximately a five minute walk to UAF Northwest Campus
Bed and Breakfasts
- Information on local B&Bs can be found at visitnomealaska.com/lodging-in-nome
- A number of Nome residents participate in Airbnb at various locations across town: details available at airbnb.com
The extreme cold of the arctic winter can be dangerous with the wind chill plunging the temperatures to as low as -60 F. A warm coat, hat, gloves, scarf, snow or ski pants, warm socks, and warm boots are all basic gear to bring with you to Nome.