Association Officers and Board Meetings
Current Association Officers
William Hedman, President (alaskaanthropresident [at] gmail [dot] com)
Julie Esdale, Vice President (alaskaanthrovp [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Julie Esdale is the archaeologist for the US Army in Alaska based at Fort Wainwright, Alaska; she has been working in archaeology for 18 years. The majority of her fieldwork has been in central Interior Alaska, the Brooks Range, and the northern Yukon. Julie’s main research interests are in lithic technology, geoarchaeology, paleoecology, and middle Holocene cultural adaptations in the north
Shelby Anderson, Publications (alaskaanthropublications [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Shelby Anderson is an Assistant Professor in the Anthropology Department at Portland State University. Her research interests include past hunter-gatherer societies, human ecodynamics, evolutionary theory, ceramic technologies, applied archaeology, and archaeology of the Arctic, Subarctic and Pacific Northwest. Cross-cutting these interests is a long-term commitment to community engagement and collaborative research in all aspects of her work. Over the years Anderson has worked in a variety of settings (e.g., tribal, federal, private) in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado and the Russian Far East.
Amy Phillips-Chan, Secretary (alaskaanthrosecretary [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Amy Phillips-Chan serves as the Director of the Carrie M. McLain Memorial Museum in Nome, Alaska; she is also a Research Collaborator with the Smithsonian Arctic Studies Center. Phillips-Chan received a PhD from Arizona State University in 2013 with her dissertation research focused on reconnecting engraved imagery on ivory drill bows with oral histories and traditional ecological knowledge from the Bering Strait. As an Arctic Researcher, her primary goals are to promote museum-community partnerships, engage youth in applied collections research, and involve the public in collaborative exploration of their circumpolar cultural heritage.
Phoebe Gilbert, Scholarships & Awards (alaskaanthroaward.scholarship [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Phoebe Gilbert is the archaeologist at Denali National Park & Preserve. She’s been working as an archaeologist in Alaska since 2006 and in the Lower 48 previous to that. She has a MA from the University of Alaska Fairbanks, and her research interests include climate change, paleomigration, and geoarchaeology.
Kelly Eldridge, External Affairs/Website (alaskaanthroexternalaffairs [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Kelly Eldridge is an archaeologist for the US Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska District; she has been working in Alaskan archaeology for 10 years. Eldridge is a PhD Candidate in Anthropology with a designated emphasis in Native American Studies at the University of California, Davis.
The Association employs Vivian Bowman as a part time bookkeeper/treasurer to assist with financial administration and member services. For questions about association business, your membership, the purchase of association publications or web site functions in general, please contact Vivian (alaskaanthro [at] gmail [dot] com).
R. Joan Dale has been appointed as the Association’s Curator. She has graciously agreed to tackle getting the storage unit and archives in order. Joan can be reached at (alaskaanthrocurator [at] gmail [dot] com).
Upcoming Board Meetings
Starting in November 2015, Board Meetings will be held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 12:00-1:00 pm AKST. Please contact Board Member Kelly Eldridge (alaskaanthroexternalaffairs [at] gmail [dot] com) if you would like to attend a meeting or place an item on the agenda. Any additions to the meeting agenda must be received at least one (1) week prior to the meeting. To attend via teleconference, please contact Kelly at least two (2) days before the meeting.
The Annual General Membership Business Meeting takes place on the Saturday afternoon following the conference.
Download Board Meeting Minutes
2017-01 Meeting Minutes (11.7 KB)
2017 Approved Budget (41.6 KB)
2016-12 Meeting Minutes (191.5 KB)
2016-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (257.6 KB)
2016-01 Meeting Minutes (12 KB)
2015-11 Meeting Minutes (65.7 KB)
2015-10 Meeting Minutes (112.8 KB)
2015-09 Meeting Minutes (115.5 KB)
2015-08 Meeting Minutes (113.3 KB)
2015-05 Meeting Minutes (213.4 KB)
2015-04 Meeting Minutes (269.8 KB)
2014-05 Meeting Minutes (42.2 KB)
2014-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (78.4 KB)
2014-02 Meeting Minutes (214.5 KB)
2013-10 Meeting Minutes (229.2 KB)
2013-05 Meeting Minutes (80 KB)
2013-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (85.5 KB)
2012-09 Meeting Minutes (152.3 KB)
2012-06 Meeting Minutes (78.5 KB)
2012-02 Meeting Minutes (354.8 KB)
2012-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (36.9 KB)
2011-04 Meeting Minutes (87.5 KB)
2011-03 Meeting Minutes (79 KB)
2010-08 Meeting Minutes (84.9 KB)
2010-03 Meeting Minutes (266.7 KB)
2009-12 Meeting Minutes (115.4 KB)
2009-09 Meeting Minutes (12.7 KB)
2009-03 Meeting Minutes (10.4 KB)
2008-07 Meeting Minutes (79.6 KB)
2008-04 Meeting Minutes (66.7 KB)
1998-01 Meeting Minutes (81.1 KB)