Association Officers and Board Meetings
Current Association Officers
Amy Phillips-Chan, President (alaskaanthropresident [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Amy Phillips-Chan serves as the Director of the Carrie M. McLain Memorial Museum in Nome, Alaska; she is also a Research Collaborator with the Smithsonian Arctic Studies Center. Phillips-Chan received a PhD from Arizona State University in 2013 with her dissertation research focused on reconnecting engraved imagery on ivory drill bows with oral histories and traditional ecological knowledge from the Bering Strait. As an Arctic Researcher, her primary goals are to promote museum-community partnerships, engage youth in applied collections research, and involve the public in collaborative exploration of their circumpolar cultural heritage.
- Phoebe Gilbert is the archaeologist at Denali National Park & Preserve. She’s been working as an archaeologist in Alaska since 2006 and in the Lower 48 previous to that. She has a MA from the University of Alaska Fairbanks, and her research interests include climate change, paleomigration, and geoarchaeology.
- Sam currently serves as the Research Archaeologist and GIS coordinator for the University of Alaska Museum of the North. He has worked for the museum since 2010 and has been involved in numerous field and collection-based projects in Alaska and the Great Basin since 2005. His main research interests include lithic raw material sourcing, coastal adaptation and use during the Holocene, hunter-gatherer landscape-use, and GIS modeling and analysis. He has been involved in a variety of community outreach activities and enjoys promoting the field of anthropology and archaeology.
Britteny M. Howell
- Britteny M. Howell is Assistant Professor in the Division of Population Health Sciences at University of Alaska Anchorage. She is a biocultural anthropologist and a Credentialed Professional Gerontologist (CPG) primarily studying sociocultural conceptions of healthy aging and lay perspectives of the aging process. Dr. Howell is the founder, lead researcher, and faculty mentor for students working in the Healthy Aging Lab at UAA: https://sites.google.com/alaska.edu/uaa-healthy-aging-lab
Joshua Lynch, External Affairs/Website (alaskaanthroexternalaffairs [at] gmail [dot] com)
- Joshua Lynch is a PhD Candidate in the Anthropology Department at Texas A&M University working with the Center for the Study of the First Americans. Additionally, Joshua is an archaeologist for the US Army in Alaska based at Fort Wainwright, Alaska working for the Center for the Environmental Management of Military Lands, Colorado State University. His research focuses on the technological organization, land use, mobility, and substance strategies of Paleoarctic populations in interior Alaska as observable through experimental and use wear methodologies. Joshua’s experimental research has allowed for active engagement in significant community outreach efforts and fosters on-going relationships with native and non-native archaeological stakeholders around the state.
The Association employs Ann Biddle as a part time bookkeeper/treasurer to assist with financial administration and member services. For questions about association business, your membership, the purchase of association publications or web site functions in general, please contact Ann (alaskaanthrotreasurer [at] gmail [dot] com).
R. Joan Dale has been appointed as the Association’s Curator. She has graciously agreed to tackle getting the storage unit and archives in order. Joan can be reached at (alaskaanthrocurator [at] gmail [dot] com).
Joanna Wells has been appointed as the Association’s Media Coordinator. She is mailing out publications purchased through the website and helping with our institutional subscriptions and mailings. Please contact the association at alaskaanthro [at] gmail [dot] com if you need to reach Joanna.
Upcoming Board Meetings
Board Meetings will be held on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 1:00-2:00 pm AKST. Please contact Board Member Joshua Lynch (alaskaanthroexternalaffairs [at] gmail [dot] com) if you would like to attend a meeting or place an item on the agenda. Any additions to the meeting agenda must be received at least one (1) week prior to the meeting. To attend via teleconference, please contact Yoko at least two (2) days before the meeting.
The Annual General Membership Business Meeting takes place on the Saturday afternoon following the conference.
Download Board Meeting Minutes
2019-03 General Business Meeting Minutes (89.7 KB)
2019-02 Meeting Minutes (75.2 KB)
2019-01 Meeting Minutes (74.5 KB)
2018-12 Meeting Minutes (74 KB)
2018-11 Meeting Minutes (73.7 KB)
2018-10 Meeting Minutes (245.2 KB)
2018-09 Meeting Minutes (67.4 KB)
2018-07 Meeting Minutes (68.3 KB)
2018-06 Meeting Minutes (68.4 KB)
2018-05 Meeting Minutes (66.7 KB)
2018-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (81.8 KB)
2018-03 Meeting Minutes (73.4 KB)
2018-02 Meeting Minutes (68.1 KB)
2018-01 Meeting Minutes (69.2 KB)
2017-12 Meeting Minutes (144 KB)
2017-11 Meeting Minutes (67.4 KB)
2017-10 Meeting Minutes (67.4 KB)
2017-09 Meeting Minutes (69 KB)
2017-07 Meeting Minutes (65.9 KB)
2017-06 Meeting Minutes (67.4 KB)
2017-05 Meeting Minutes (67.3 KB)
2017-04 Meeting Minutes (68 KB)
2017-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (73.1 KB)
2017-01 Meeting Minutes (11.7 KB)
2017 Approved Budget (41.6 KB)
2016-12 Meeting Minutes (191.5 KB)
2016-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (257.6 KB)
2016-01 Meeting Minutes (12 KB)
2015-11 Meeting Minutes (65.7 KB)
2015-10 Meeting Minutes (112.8 KB)
2015-09 Meeting Minutes (115.5 KB)
2015-08 Meeting Minutes (113.3 KB)
2015-05 Meeting Minutes (213.4 KB)
2015-04 Meeting Minutes (269.8 KB)
2014-05 Meeting Minutes (42.2 KB)
2014-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (78.4 KB)
2014-02 Meeting Minutes (214.5 KB)
2013-10 Meeting Minutes (229.2 KB)
2013-05 Meeting Minutes (80 KB)
2013-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (85.5 KB)
2012-09 Meeting Minutes (152.3 KB)
2012-06 Meeting Minutes (78.5 KB)
2012-02 Meeting Minutes (354.8 KB)
2012-03 Annual Business Meeting Minutes (36.9 KB)
2011-04 Meeting Minutes (87.5 KB)
2011-03 Meeting Minutes (79 KB)
2010-08 Meeting Minutes (84.9 KB)
2010-03 Meeting Minutes (266.7 KB)
2009-12 Meeting Minutes (115.4 KB)
2009-09 Meeting Minutes (12.7 KB)
2009-03 Meeting Minutes (10.4 KB)
2008-07 Meeting Minutes (79.6 KB)
2008-04 Meeting Minutes (66.7 KB)
1998-01 Meeting Minutes (81.1 KB)